What is a social entrepreneur? A social entrepreneur is someone who puts the needs and interests of people and the environment before the gains of shareholders. As an industry it's on the up - in 2019 42% of social enterprises were less than 5 years old. Investment in people and sustainability is at the core of what social enterprises do, benefitting the world around them as well as the businesses themselves. In 2020, Social Enterprise UK found that 56% of SE's had introduced a new product or service within the last 12 months, outpacing the private sector's 36%.
Here at Zync we love social enterprises, and here are 5 reasons we think you will too!
1. Tax - corporate tax is a big issue right now, but not in the third sector, the top five cooperatives in the UK paid more tax in 2019 than Amazon, Facebook, Apple, eBay and Starbucks combined. Contributing £60bn to the economy per annum, this accounts for 3% of GDP, triple the contribution of agriculture.
2. They employ 5% of the workforce, considering a major employment sector, construction, accounts for 9% of the workforce (gov 2019), it's easy to forget how important an employer social enterprises are.
3. 40% of social enterprises are led by women, compared to 6% of the S&P 500 list. Social enterprises are ahead of the curve.
4. In 2019, 52% of social enterprises grew their turnover, eclipsing the 34% of small to medium-sized enterprises that grew during the same period.
5. 75% of social enterprises think that environmental impact and sustainability to be of equal or greater importance than cost. Now more than ever this is a mentality that needs universal adoption, making money shouldn't come at the cost of our environment.
When you put it like that, it’s pretty hard not to love social enterprises! Here at Zync, we're committed to doing our part to empower social enterprises and entrepreneurs to make the most of your digital marketing solutions. If you think that we could help your enterprise, we'd love to hear from you!
Our expertise covers effective social media management and content strategy, paid search (PPC) and email marketing. As accredited members of Social Enterprise UK, you can trust that we've got your best interests in mind.
Why not tell us what it is that you love about social enterprises and entrepreneurs? Tweet us at @zyncdigital and let us know what you think!